haaretz.comhaaretz.comMay 17, 2026 at 06:45 PM

Gaza Hospital Says One Killed, Two Wounded in Israeli Strike

Read original article
A diplomatic adviser to the UAE president said the targeting of the Barakah nuclear power plant, whether by the "principal perpetrator or through one of its proxies," represents a dangerous escalation, according to a post on X. Emirati state media later reported that the UAE foreign minister held phone calls with regional counterparts, including Saudi Arabia's foreign minister, after the drone attack on the Barakah nuclear power plant. Saudi Arabia's Foreign Ministry condemned the attack. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by phone on Sunday, ahead of a limited security cabinet meeting set for the evening to discuss Iran, Lebanon and Gaza. After the call, Trump warned Iran that "the clock is ticking" and that Tehran had better "get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them." The High Court of Justice will hear Haaretz's request next week to lift the confidentiality order on the Shin Bet's position regarding the removal of restrictions on Yonatan Urich and Eli Feldstein's access to the Prime Minister's Office. The classified material includes Shin Bet correspondence and professional instructions to the PMO's security chief. It was submitted to the court under seal last month at the request of Deputy Supreme Court President Noam Sohlberg. The hearing will take place as part of a petition filed by the Movement for Quality Government over restrictions imposed on the prime minister's advisers, who are criminal suspects. The IDF said several groups of Israeli civilians tried to cross the border into Syria over the past 24 hours in three separate incidents. According to the military, the crossings were prevented and the civilians were transferred to police custody. Shin Bet chief David Zini filed a request to hold three of his predecessors in contempt of court after they refused to disclose the names of former security officials who signed a petition against his appointment. The three former Shin Bet chiefs – Rami Gillon, Ami Ayalon and Nadav Argaman – refused to hand over the list of 180 former Shin Bet officials who signed the petition and were identified only by their initials. The IDF warned that the government-backed draft exemption bill will not solve the army's manpower crisis or significantly increase the number of conscripts needed to ease the burden on regular and reserve soldiers since October 7. The army also warned that without a real solution, it will not be able to meet combat and ongoing security missions over the long term. ■ The IDF said four soldiers were wounded by an explosive device in southern Lebanon, including one seriously. ■ Lebanon said 19 people were killed in Israeli strikes over the past day. ■ The ICC's top prosecutor has requested sealed arrest warrants for several Israeli officials, including Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, a source told Haaretz. ■ The IDF said it killed a commander in Hamas' operations headquarters, who it said had advanced attacks against Israeli civilians and troops. ■ Medical sources in Gaza said three people were killed in an Israeli drone strike on a food distribution center in the central Gaza Strip. ■ Israel approved funding to help countries move their embassies to Jerusalem, as well as a plan to build a defense compound at the site of UNRWA's former East Jerusalem premises that Israel demolished in January. ■ The Palestinian Red Crescent said a 19-year-old was wounded in the leg by gunfire in the West Bank. Medical sources in Gaza said three people were killed in an Israeli drone strike on a food distribution center in Deir al-Balah, in the central Gaza Strip. Earlier, Gaza's Health Ministry said six people were killed and 19 wounded in Israeli strikes over the past 24 hours. According to Palestinian reports, one of the strikes targeted a Hamas police checkpoint in Khan Yunis, in southern Gaza. The ministry said the death toll since the cease-fire began in October has risen to 871, and that 72,763 people have been killed in Gaza since October 7.

Impacted Markets

5