Is JD Vance the heir apparent to Trump - or isn't he?
Bernd Debusmann Jr
White House reporter
Among many Republican voters, JD Vance is seen as the most likely successor to President Donald Trump when it comes time for the next presidential election in 2028.
For others, it's Marco Rubio, the current secretary of state.
We don't, however, know President Trump's thinking on the matter. He often jokes about it.
“Who’s it going to be? Is it gonna be JD? Is it gonna be somebody else? I don’t know,” he said earlier in May.
“Who likes JD Vance?” he asked a crowd at the White House. “Who likes Marco Rubio?” he continued, adding that the pair “sound like a good ticket".
In some ways, this briefing - and Rubio's two weeks ago - is something of an audition. It's not just for the White House press corps, or for Americans more broadly.
President Trump will almost certainly be watching as well, alongside millions of potential voters.
Vance only briefly addressed the issue, dismissing the topic in this briefing.
"I'm not a potential, future candidate. I'm a vice president. I really like my job and I'm going to try to do as good of a job as I can," he said.
Vance asked about Iranian uranium and fentanyl supplies into the US
Returning to the topic of Iran, Vance says he is aware of reporting about Russia taking possession of Iran's enriched uranium.
He says this is not currently part of the plan from the United States government but that he is not going to make commitments on negotiations during his briefing to journalists.
The vice-president is then asked about the supply fentanyl in the US from China, and says that the topic was brought up between President Donald Trump and China's President Xi Jinping during last week's talks.
He says that the administration's sense is that Xi is willing to work with the US on the topic, while also saying that Trump has made "incredible strides" in reducing the number of fentanyl deaths in the US.
Vance addresses controversial 'weaponisation' fund
Bernd Debusmann Jr
White House reporter
Predictably, Vice President JD Vance has also been asked about the extremely controversial $1.8bn fund that the justice department said would be used to compensate people "unfairly" being investigated by prior administrations.
Democrats have widely criticised the move, describing the fund as a "slush fund" for Trump's political allies, including some charged or convicted in relation to the 6 January 2021 riot at the US Capitol.
His answer echoes those we heard from acting Attorney General Todd Blanche on Capitol Hill earlier today.
The argument from the Trump administration so far is that, in theory, the fund is non-partisan and can theoretically benefit anyone - Democrats, Republicans or Independents - who has been wronged by a previous administration.
Vance said that even Hunter Biden, the son of the former president, could apply to the fund.
For critics, however, that answer will likely not be satisfactory, or reassuring.
Of the five members of the commission that will distribute the compensation fund, four will be appointed by the attorney general, who, at least for the moment, is Trump's handpicked former personal attorney.
Vance says anti-weaponisation fund has been mis-characterised
Vance is now asked about the "anti-weaponisation fund", the $1.8bn (£1.3bn) fund announced by the justice department to compensate people who have been "unfairly" investigated by prior administrations.
A reporter asks if it's fair that taxpayers fund the programme if it's used to give money to rioters who stormed the US Capitol on January 6.
Vance claims there has been a mis-characterisation of the fund, saying it is for compensation for those who feel they were targeted.
"We're trying to compensate people where the book was thrown at them, they were mistreated by the legal system," he says.
He adds that it's open to anyone, and that no member of the Trump family will be receiving money.
Iranians want to make a deal, says Vance
JD Vance returns to the topic of Iran, as he's asked to explain his reasoning for why he believes that Iran is negotiating for a peace deal in good faith.
The vice president praises Iran as a "proud civilisation" with "amazing people", but also calls it a "fractured country".
He says this means it is sometimes "not totally clear" what the position of the negotiating team is, as there are lots of officials below the supreme leader who have an influence on negotiations.
It's not clear whether this confusion is down to bad faith or bad communication, he says, but stresses that the Iranians want to make a deal.
Vance says he believes Iran knows the "red line" is around nuclear weapons, but says he won't be certain until pen signs paper on a deal.
Trump wants lawmakers to serve people who sent to them to DC
Vance jokes that he is replacing White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt, while she is on maternity leave.
He says that she that she can replace him as vice president when his wife Usha has their baby later this year.
Moving on to questions, Vance is asked about Trump endorsing Ken Paxton over John Cornyn in the Republican Texas primary.
Vance notes that he has known Cornyn for years, starting back when he was an Ohio senator, but that he has not always been there for Trump.
He adds that Trump wants people who will go to Washington and fight for those they represent, and that his endorsement of Cornyn's rival sends a signal to lawmakers that you have to serve the people who sent you to DC.
The Iran war 'domino theory' is one that will be familiar to many Americans
Bernd Debusmann Jr
White House reporter
JD Vance has briefly touched on Iran, explaining to reporters that he believes that Iran having a nuclear weapon would lead to similar aspirations from countries across the region.
That's not a theory that has been provided in much detail by the administration - but it's certainly one that many Americans willl be familiar with.
During the Cold War, a similar theory of falling dominoes was the US justification for increasing its military involvement in Vietnam.
Americans saw it again in the 1980s in Central America, as the US ramped up military aid to its allies in places like El Salvador.
The thinking, at the time, was that countries falling to communists would be followed by others and needed to be stopped.
Vance's Iran war argument is similar - and not without backing in Washington.
For years, Middle East experts have speculated that a successful Iranian nuclear weapons programme would lead to regional rivals - chiefly Saudi Arabia - seeking to ramp up their own domestic nuclear weapons programmes to establish military equilibrium.
Iranian nuclear weapon could set off 'arms race,' says Vance
The vice president moves on to an update on the Iran negotiations, saying it is a "simple proposition" having spoken to President Trump.
He reiterates the US's stance that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. He says it would lead to other nations "scrambling" to get their own nuclear weapons and that this would "make us all much less safe".
"Iran would really be the first domino in what would set off a nuclear arms race all over the world," he adds.
He says the US has made "a lot of progress" in negotiating with the Iranians.
JD Vance to face the press - as he jostles for position
Sarah Smith
North America editor
The briefing room is filling up waiting for Vice-President JD Vance to appear.
Earlier in May, we had Secretary of State Marco Rubio covering Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt’s maternity leave.
This week it’s the vice-president.
These are the two men who are viewed as the most likely possible Republican candidates to run for president in 2028.
Donald Trump often teases them about this and never declares which one he wants to succeed him. He clearly enjoys fostering the rivalry between them.
When Rubio was at the podium he was very relaxed and jovial with the press. He also managed to deliver a couple of soundbites that sounded like they were straight out of a presidential campaign speech.
"My hope for America is what it’s always been," he said on 5 May. "I think it’s the hope I hope we all share. We want it to continue to be the place where anyone from anywhere can achieve anything."
Already they have been turned into social media clips that look like a political advert.
No wonder JD Vance now wants his turn in the briefing room.
We will see if he too is in campaign mode already. Will he be able to signal his scepticism about the war in Iran (which could be popular with voters) without angering the president?
The last time Vance was here was after protesters in Minneapolis had been shot. He was very combative then. Will there be fireworks again today?